About Our Parish
  • We are a vibrant Roman Catholic Community of faith that is rich in the traditions of our faith and of our one-hundred and fifty year old Parish.

    We are also the parish home for St. John the Baptist Catholic School, next door to the church.
Our Parish
Saint John the Baptist Catholic Church, Healdsburg CA,

In the Diocese of Santa Rosa,
in the city of Healdsburg,
the heart of the
California wine country.

ABOUT OUR PARISH

A BRIEF HISTORY

1860On August 12, 1860, Archbishop Joseph Alemany blessed a small chapel with a room attached. This structure on Matheson Street was purchased by Fr. Luigi Angelo Maria de Rossi for the celebration of Mass in Healdsburg and for the clergy who traveled here from Freestone and Tomales.
1873St John the Baptist Catholic Church 1873On November 9 this structure became the rectory and a steepled church on the Corner of Matheson and East Streets was dedicated as St. John the Baptist Church. It was a mission of Tomales.
1877St. John the Baptist Church became a mission of St. Rose Church in Santa Rosa.
1884On May 24, St. John the Baptist was established as a Parish. St. John the Baptist Parish is the mother church of St. Peter’s in Cloverdale, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Asti, St. Elizabeth in Guerneville and its missions, and Our Lady of Guadalupe in Windsor.
1910
St John the Baptist Catholic Church 1910
A larger church was dedicated on March 13 to serve an increased Catholic population.
1934The parish acquired a gymnasium and hall.
1950Fr. Michael Galvin and parish lay leaders acquired the former public grammar school on the corner of Tucker and Fitch Streets for a parochial school. The Sisters of the Holy Infant Jesus came to Healdsburg from Ireland to staff the school. The school opened its doors on September 18, 1950. Eighty-nine students were enrolled in grades 1-6. It wasn’t until 1954 that the classroom building presently housing grades 1 – 4 was constructed.
1956The original building, purchased by Fr. Rossi, was removed and the present rectory was constructed. A convent and novitiate were also built on the corner of Tucker and Fitch Streets.
1965The present church was erected. It is the largest church building in Sonoma County and the second largest church in the Diocese of Santa Rosa.
1986The sisters departed St. John School and the school was entirely staffed by dedicated lay teachers. The convent was sold in 1989 and the property adjacent to the school, owned by the Federated Church, was acquired.
1989In October, the Loma Prieta earthquake made the original school building and the Parish Hall unusable. After the demolition, new classrooms were erected and the other parish buildings were retrofitted, repaired and refurbished.
2003A new Parish Activity Center/Gymnasium was completed and dedicated.
2007The school remodeled Fintan Hall and it now serves as a library/art room. A new music room and 8th grade classroom were also added.
2008The kitchen in the Parish Activity Center/Gymnasium was upgraded.
2011The Church and school continue to look for ways to improve.

PASTORS

Rev. Patrick O’Connell 1884-1885
Rev. John Meiler 1885-1905
Rev. Maurice J. Barry 1905-1913
Rev. John Smyth 1913-1918
Rev. Angelo Andrian 1918-1920
Rev. Titus Bandini 1920-1923
Rev. Michael J. Walsh 1923-1930
Rev. James J. O’Reilly 1930-1933
Rev. Leo T. Coghlan 1933-1945
Rev. William J. Tierney (Admin) 1945-1946
Rev. Michael J. Galvin 1946-1951
Rev. Patrick Thompson 1951-1955
Rev. Joseph A. Wise, CR 1955-1958
Rev. Arthur Adamski, CR 1958-1965
Rev. Valentine Lesiak, CR 1965-1968
Msgr. John J. O’Hare 1968-1979
Rev. Michael Culligan 1979-1984
Rev. William Hynes 1984-1989
Rev. Thomas W. Devereaux 1989-2004
Rev. Walt Rogina, Jr. 2004-2013
Rev. Sean Rogers 2013-    

STAFF

Rev. Sean Rogers – Pastor
Rev. Francis Gayam – In residence
Rev. Bernard D'Sa – In residence

Dr. Colleen Bruckmann – School Principal

Margaret Brown – Secretary/Bookkeeper

Josefina Garduno – Receptionist
Katrina Iñiguez – Receptionist
Maria Campos – Housekeeper
Alma Espinoza – Maintenance
433.5536 x131



433-2758 x113

433-5536 x111

433-5536 x122
433-5536 x122

MINISTRIES AND ORGANIZATIONS

Bible Study – Harry Martin
Helping Hands – Bev Cassaza
Italian Catholic Federation (ICF) – Nancy Seppi, President
Knights of Columbus – Wayne Bell
Ladies Guild – Sharon Cowley
Liturgical Ministers – Al Garayalde
Parish Council – Pat Flanagan
Parish Finance Committee – Mel Amato
Religious Education – Katrina Iñiguez
St. Vincent de Paul – Pat Flanagan


StJohnsChurch
© 2013  St. John the Baptist Catholic Church | All rights reserved Website Development & SEO by Sonoma CONNECTION